The ministry of budget and planning Kaduna State played host to tech enthusiasts and organisations such (TechHerNG, Ventures Platform, Kolab Kaduna, E-Kasuwa, StartupKaduna etc), at Assad Pyramid Hotel, Lafia Road Kaduna.
This roundtable discussion was organized in collaboration with World Bank Digital Development Team to have clarity and understanding of the digital ecosystem within the state, as well as create more digital opportunities for women and youth.
The commissioner for planning and Budget Commission; Muhammed Sani Dattijo set the tone for the day with his welcome remark. A goodwill message by His Excellency, Dr Nasir El-Rufus was read by Mrs Ruth Alkali.
Ida S. Mboob & Zoe Lu from the World Bank gave a presentation program objectives and overviews on digital Jobs in Nigeria.
The interactive discussion gave the audience an open forum to share knowledge, ideas, challenges and ask questions after the World Bank Team gave their presentation. Little learning and ideas drawn from this session are:
- Identifying what skills exist among women and girls in the state; networking and mentoring are important instruments in this regard.
- The importance of tech-enthusiast solving social and cultural issues within the country.
- Using computer games, music and art as an element to introduce kids into ICT, as they are widely fascinated to playing these games.
Recommendations and action points from the roundtable discussion are:
- Ensure, government leverage on existing tech hubs instead of starting new ones.
- Government incentivising investors.
- Initiate projects that will lead to women and girls active participation in technology.
- Government implementing projects and awareness to tackle socio-cultural barriers that prevent girls and women form fully accessing and benefiting from digital skills.
- Encourage and create platforms that foster discussions and brainstorming on developing the ecosystem.
Participants were encouraged to form communities of practice, meaning that after the workshop they can continue to share experience, ask questions and pass on lessons.